Thursday, February 2, 2012

GSA Chapter 11: Near Death, Among Other Things

I'm going to express my astonishment again; I still can't believe they decided I was mature enough to deal with some of the stuff that happens when you put 100 teenagers together. We have had to deal with a very difficult situation recently and there is lots of lying going on. It's a situation that I would have happily avoided when I was in high school. I would have found out probably 3 weeks after it all happened. But now I'm right in the middle of everything. We had to search a room and everything. It makes me really sad to see someone stand in front of you and lie to your face about what they have been doing. It makes my heart ache for them. Last semester I was thinking to myself about how easy the semester had been and that we didn't really have a whole lot of disciplinary action to deal with. Then we got back from Christmas break and the flood gates were opened and we have had to deal with one sad situation after another. Because of all of the stuff I've been dealing with I feel like I've matured about 5 years in two weeks. I still struggle with what to say when things like this come up but I'm working on it. I tend to want to say exactly how I feel about a situation and that's not necessarily a good thing. I'm also learning what kind of questions to ask and what kind of advice to give.

Earlier this week I got my W-2 in the mail. For some reason I had never seen this tax document before so I went into the business office to have it explained to me and after about 10 minutes the document was explained. I then immediately sent it to my parents who do my taxes for me and then called my dad to tell him that it was on it's way. During the conversation I asked him if he would just do my taxes for the rest of my life...he said no. Oh well. He also informed that there are only three things that are definite in this life: birth, death, and taxes. I should probably start looking for an accountant.

On a cheerier note, the school had winter sports day yesterday and that meant skiing at Bogus Basin for me. I was imagining sort of a small ski area with 7 or 8 runs and 1 or 2 lifts. I was very wrong. There are probably 7 or 8 lifts and I didn't get the chance to ride all of them much less ski even half of the runs on the mountain. I skied with the principal, VP, and head dean for most of the day. It snowed pretty much all morning, which made for painful skiing if you got going too fast. However, the skiing later in the day was fabulous because of the fresh snow. It was only hampered by dense fog. I experienced a total white out. I was riding the lift and we passed into fog so thick that I could barely see the chair in front of me and it was a surreal feeling to just be suspended in total whiteness. After a little while struggling to ski through the fog I finally gave up and went in. Skiing by "Braille" isn't ideal and is actually rather terrifying. At 4 o'clock we loaded the bus and then had to sit and wait for one wayward student for about twenty minutes. When we finally got on the road in the school bus it was slow going; because of all the snow the roads were slick and trecherous. Everything seemed to be going fine, with the exception of the occasional fish tail, until we approached a curve about a quarter of the way down the mountain. The bus driver started slowing down and the bus started sliding. We slid into a snow bank on the edge of the road, missing the guard rail and with about five feet of mountain before we would have careened down the mountainside in a runaway bus.
They say that when a person has a near death experience that their whole life flashes before their eyes. That didn't happen to me, the only thought in my head was, "Dear Jesus, please don't let me die." and the other thought was about my grandpa's sister Jane who died in a grey hound bus accident in 1962. Weird. Anyway, we made it down the mountain without anymore life threatening incidents and I slept for the remainder of the ride.

Today I was awakened by my brother who sent me 15 text messages in 2 minutes. If he wasn't 2000 miles away right now I would have probably tried to strangle him. Turns out it was a good thing he woke me up because about 30 minutes later I had to take one of our girl's to the urgent care clinic to have her shoulder looked at. We spent about an hour there and learned that she will be fine. Hurray! Then I spent two hours this evening in the ER with another girl who fell while ice skating yesterday. It was a good thing I brought a book because they took X-rays and did a CT scan on her. We were there for two hours. Thankfully she will be fine too! I hope I don't have crazy children...*cough like my brother cough*

One part of my day that I really enjoy is RA meeting. Every night around 10:30 the RAs come down to the dean's office and we talk about the day. We talk about problems on the hall and issues with people during the day. But mostly, we laugh and decompress from the stress of another day. It is quite possibly one of my favorite parts of my job. I get to tease the guys about their girlfriends and we usually spend a lot of time laughing hysterically and talking about complete randomness. It's wonderful. Tonight they were harassing me about not having a boyfriend. They think that if I have a boyfriend then I won't be as interested in their love lives. But really, even if I did have a boyfriend, I'd still be just as interested in what was going in their lives. I love being able to joke around with them and tease them about stuff. RA meetings are the bomb...just sayin'.

Well, I think that's enough for now. This weekend is senior recognition, that should be fun. I'm excited to see what they do differently here. Much love to all those who read my sporadic blog posts. Keep GSA in your prayers. I think about all of my friends and family every day. I miss every one!

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment